Friday, April 25, 2008

A Day We've Earned

You know, not for anything, but I feel like Dawna and I are entitled to get a day off three months from now for a few reasons.

1. We're requesting to get a day off three months from now so we can actually book our reserved flights to the Philippines.

2. The day we're requesting off is a testing day... so whoever has to cover our classes wouldn't have to teach... just hand out tests more or less.

3. We've both come to work with the flu, being sick, food poisoning... everything. We've taught screaming kids while having migraines or having to run the washroom to throw up from a nasty flu. We've never called in sick, no matter how painfully sick we've been over the last eight months.

4. We've covered classes for other teachers who have gotten days off, so what's the pain in giving us ONE day off three months from now?

We asked for the day off earlier this week. Dawna told our boss that it was my birthday (which it will be) in July and that this trip will mean a lot to us. She also mentioned how increasingly difficult it is to book a flight in Korea as that's the only time most people in the country get off and everything fills up. Our boss more or less said no. We e-mailed back and let them know it would be a testing day which should lighten up the load for whoever may have to cover our classes. In passing, my boss said he'd consider and get back to me by next week, but followed up with a comment that didn't seem too optimistic.

No offense... but I've never let the company hanging. I've done everything that I've been asked to do and have done so without any outward complaint.

The least we deserve is the day off. If I don't get it, I'll be very mad. Outwardly mad, too. We'll see how that goes.

- Gilad

No comments: