Thursday, May 8, 2008

State of the Vacation

The Philippines looks like it's not happening anymore. It saddens me because I've always had an interest to go there. But in all honesty, my interests and reality aren't matching up here. I've always wanted to visit the Philippines and explore the country... the ins and outs... meet the people and experience the culture. One of my best friends from a few years back was this guy called Epher... a Filipino guy who would always talk fondly about his country. As a result, I grew a love for it and wanted to one day go there. However, with only six days of travel time at the end of July, I feel like I can't do everything I'd want to do in that country. That, and the tickets there are expensive for that time of the year. Most importantly, Dawna and I would be nearing the end of our contracts in Korea and will be looking to celebrate by just relaxing on a beach under some sun. It would be unfair to use my trip to the Philippines for those kinds of means when there's so much more I'd like to do. So it looks like our trip to the Philippines is not happening.

Rather, it looks like we'll be traveling to Thailand instead. With some help from our boss, we found some decent tickets to Bangkok. Thailand has also intrigued me in the past and I know they have nice beaches... and it'll be warm... and cheap... so why not? Cheap + Beautiful Beaches + Great Food = the kind of trip I'll want to be taking in July. I'm saddened but very excited as well. I've also realized that this is my first real vacation ever... so I'll be looking to make the most of it.

And hopefully, sometime later in life, I'll be able to make a more extended trip to the Philippines.

- Gilad

2 comments:

Beth said...

Thailand is awesome! You'll love it. Rent a bike/scooter or something.
Mmm, amazing food!

Chris Whitler said...

What Beth said...you'll have a great time!