Wednesday, November 5, 2008

And teaching it is...

So today was my first day on the job at UNICEF and tomorrow will be my last. While on my lunch break today, I found out that I got a teaching job that pays a lot more... with a lot less working time... and VERY close to my house. Oh, and it's also a full-time, permanent position, unlike this six-week contract with UNICEF. It was awkward telling my bosses that I'd have to quit on the same day I started but it went pretty well.

So yea, I'll be teaching students who are ages 18-25 (on average) who come here to learn English. They're from places like Korea, Japan, South America, Europe, etc. My favourite part of this position is that on Fridays I only work from 9-12 which gives me time to tutor students... and unlike Korea, private tutoring is legal over here. I'm also teaching older kids (unlike in Korea), as well as getting complete freedom in two of my four classes. This means that I can center my lesson around my favourite song, a TV show, a political issue, etc. Lots of room for creativity which I'm definitely looking forward to.

The next post will have pictures of the apartment... I swear.

- Gilad

No comments: