Sunday, August 30, 2009

Of Clinton

TW-BillClinton-01.JPG

So it's 3:00pm yesterday and I'm having a meeting with Miranda and Kelly and discussing the future and excitement with the organization we work for, the Global Youth Network. I recall that Bill Clinton was set to speak at The Ex in about an hour and thought, "Ah, what the heck? I'm going!" So I head there alone, get a ticket, bump into a friend and sit down to hear him speak.

Considering this was a last minute decision, I didn't really have any expectations. He appeared pretty tired and his voice was hoarse, but that's to be expected as he was just in Boston for Ted Kenndy's funeral mass hours before. I wasn't necessarily blown away. The title of this speech was "Embracing Our Common Humanity" and focused on issues such as health care, working together to help the poor as well as Canadian issues such as our presence in Afghanistan, Alberta's oilsands and its relation to climate change as well as Canada's first nations.

The best part was at the end where he more or less spoke of the importance of doing something you love for a living. Doing something that never feels like work.

Paying just $5 to see an icon like him speak was a steal considering people across the world pay much more, I'm sure. He's a cool dude... seeing what he just did in North Korea was amazing. No regret for sure.

- Gilad

No comments: