Friday, September 30, 2011

First blog post from Korea round 2

So who would have thought that I, Dawna, would beat Gilad to putting up a blog post? As most of you know, expressing myself through social media is not my forte. However, as it is 4am and I am jet lagged and having trouble sharing our single bed I am just going to go for it.

So, we are here, living in South Korea for a second time, visiting for a third. How we managed to make this happen, so quickly, blows my mind. Poor Gilad wanted to come home from Israel and enjoy Toronto for at least a few months, not pack his bags and jet off again for another potential six month journey. However, what happens when you go home and you have nothing to do? No job, no school, no real responsibilities to keep you going? You celebrate! At first.... Then, while waking up and doing activities- like going to the gym, gardening etc.- are still very enjoyable, you do start to question your motivations in life. Like, what am I doing to help my career focus, how am I contributing to society, or even simply, how am I going to afford to eat this month? These are the forces that drove us to start pursuing our actual goals. Getting a job is pretty important, but working with your passion in a way that sustains you mentally, physically and emotionally, for me, is the most important.

Gilad for many years now has had an insatiable appetite for all things North Korean. Learning about this country in relation to it's neighbor, and once family, South Korea, has occupied much of his time. It is through him that I also have developed a passion to learn about and discuss the past and current events of a country so often over looked. Too often North Korea is categorized as a corrupt, poor and nuclear crazy country. However, it is so much more. There are real people with real stories that rarely get to be heard. There is art, and life and love that goes completely unnoticed. It is our hope that these next few months will give rise to a pursuit of knowledge that will not only create awareness of critical issues but that will also bring forth a feeling of human connection to our North Korean brother and sisters around the world.

- Dawna

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

love!
mish